100% Reviewed
Top 10 Best Fighters (24 Total):
1. Yair Rodriguez - 93.2
2. Nina Ansaroff - 92.9
3. Walt Harris - 92.8
4. Alexey Oleynik - 92.6
5. Drakkar Klose - 91.5
6. Anthony Rocco Martin - 91.3
7. Marcin Held - 91.3
8. Sergio Pettis - 91.2
9. Court McGee - 91.2
10. Augusto Mendes - 91.1
UFC Fight Night 103: Rodriguez vs. Penn
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Elevation: 1,086'
-Fight of the Night-
Yair Rodriguez vs. B.J. Penn
Fighters & Matches 89.0
Top 10 Fighters 91.9
TOTAL 90.5
(Punches & Elbows)
     These guys both traded some wild punches on the feet, Smoliakov might have poked Asker in the eye or something, so the fight was paused for a few seconds. When they started back up, Asker took Smoliakov down from the clinch, Smoliakov threw up some wild strikes, but Asker kept him under control, passed to full mount, and then unloaded with a nonstop barrage of punches & elbows, forcing the referee to eventually stop the fight. That was a solid first round finish for Cyril Asker as he earns his first win in the UFC.
      These guys traded a few strikes, Mihajlovic slipped, and Christenson got on top of him inside his guard, 2 minutes into the opening round. After working some basic ground & pound for a couple of minutes, the referee stood them back up with 30 seconds left in the fight. Mihajlovic then unloaded on Christensen with some wild punches, Christensen fired back, clinched, and then blasted Mihajlovic with a heavy knee from the clinch to end the round. Round one goes to Christensen.
     The second round had both guys clinching for a while, with Mihajlovic looking pretty tired. Christensen beat up his body with some short punches against the fence, and then he kicked him in the dick when they split apart. When the fight continued, they traded a few punches, and then Christensen clinched again. They traded a few more strikes before the end of the round, but for the most part, this fight is just turning into a sloppy fight between two Light Heavyweights, that look like they're heavyweights. Christensen is probably ahead 2-0 going into the final round.
     They continued the sloppy clinch fighting in the third round for a couple of minutes, until Christensen dropped Mihajlovic with a right uppercut, and then punched him a few more times on the ground. That was a decent win for Christensen I guess, as he earns his first win in the UFC. This wasn't a great fight, and neither of these guys are Top 20 fighters at all, but congrats to Christensen anyway for the win.
(Knee & Punches)
      These guys bounced around quite a bit, trading some big heavyweight strikes, and halfway through the first round, Harris started to unload on Sherman, rocking the shit out of him, but Sherman was able to grab a timeout after receiving an accidental kick to the dick. When the fight started back up, they both continued to blast each other with big punches, while moving around at a decent pace for two big heavyweights. Harris continued to rock Sherman's head back with long punches to finish out the round. Round one goes to Walt Harris.
     The second round started kind of slow, but one minute in, they both tried to knock each other's heads off with some brutal punch combinations. They kept up a pretty good pace for a couple of minutes, and then Harris dropped Sherman with a knee followed by some BRUTAL punches, bouncing his head off the canvas, and then Harris hammerfisted him until the referee stopped the fight. That was a fantastic finish by Walt Harris.
(Rear-Naked Choke)
      The first round started with some wild combinations, with Lybarger mostly throwing an overhand right, over and over again, while Ansaroff was picking her apart with kicks to the body & legs, and fast punch combinations to the head. Ansaroff caught a kick and took Lybarger down with around 2 minutes left in the round. Ansaroff worked some basic ground & pound from inside Lybarger's guard, while Lybarger was moving her hips a lot, preventing Ansaroff from delivering much damage. Ansaroff unloaded with some heavy bombs in the final seconds of the round. Round one goes to Nina Ansaroff.
     The second round started with some active striking, Ansaroff threw a leg kick, and tripped Lybarger to the ground again. Ansaroff got on top in half mount, and Lybarger immediately started looking for some sort of arm lock, but Ansaroff did a good job staying close, to prevent Lybarger from working any offense from her back. Lybarger gave up her back, and Ansaroff started working a neck crank 90 seconds into the round. Lybarger tried to roll to her back again, and Ansaroff started to setup an arm-triangle choke. Lybarger gave up her back again, and Ansaroff pounded on her with some punches from back mount. Lybarger laid down again, and Ansaroff unloaded on her with some brutal right hands. Lybarger gave up her back again with 90 seconds left in the round, Ansaroff was digging for a rear-naked choke, and Lybarger tried to shake her off, but Ansaroff did a great job holding onto various forms of top control. Lybarger ALMOST shook her off at one point, but Ansaroff just nailed her with a lot of uppercuts from back control, knocking her back down, allowing Ansaroff to finish the round in total control. That was an awesome round for Nina Ansaroff, and you could argue that it might have been a 10-8 round as well.
     The third round had Lybarger trying to work from the clinch, while Ansaroff was keeping her distance, picking apart Lybarger from the outside with some crisp boxing. Lybarger clipped Ansaroff with another overhand right, and then Ansaroff dropped her with another hard leg kick, which allowed Ansaroff to mount her again halfway through the final round. Lybarger gave up her back again, with 2 minutes left in the fight. Ansaroff punished her with some heavy right hands, and then she slapped on a rear-naked choke, and finished the fight by submission with around 90 seconds left. That was a fantastic performance by Nina Ansaroff, as she becomes the first fighter to ever finish Jocelyn Jones-Lybarger in a pro MMA fight.
      Tony Martin started this fight with some brutal punches, follow by a clean knee, and then he took control of the clinch, pressing White into the fence. Tony Martin's cup then randomly broke, so they had to take a minute or so to swap it out. They both came out swinging, they both connected with some heavy punches, Martin landed another head kick, and then shot for a takedown, but White spread his legs wide to stay standing, but Martin eventually whipped him around to the ground. Martin secured half mount, and he started digging for a Kimura, but it was a little too obvious, so White was able to defend against it. Martin landed some short punches & elbows to try to break White's arm free, so that he could continue to dig for that Kimura. He passed to side control, and White tried to catch him in an inverted triangle choke, but that went nowhere, so Martin just postured up and unloaded with some heavy punches. Martin finished the round with a massive right hand that almost put White's head through the canvas. Round one clearly goes to Martin.
     The second round started with some wild strikes being thrown both ways, White nearly dropped Martin with a heavy right hand, and then Martin took him to the ground again. Martin pretty much dominated him with his grappling for most of the round while working some basic ground & pound. White scrambled to his knees with 90 seconds left in the round, and then he took down Martin, while Martin continued to dig for another Kimura. They stood back up with a minute left in the round, and then Martin shot for another takedown, but it was stuffed, so he just pressed White into the fence until the end of the round. I have Martin ahead 2-0 going into the final round.
     Tony Martin started the final round by shooting for another aggressive takedown, it was stuffed, so he just clinched, and beat up White against the fence. White went for a standing guillotine choke, and Martin reset in the center halfway through the round. White clipped him with something that bothered him, so Martin clinched again, and pressed White back against the fence. They finished the fight with Martin pressing White against the fence. This should be a pretty clear 30-27 decision for Tony Martin, and all 3 judges agreed, giving him the unanimous decision victory.
(Ezekiel Choke)
      Oleynik came out super slow, throwing big slow punches, Pesta looked fast, but he was doing a terrible job avoiding the punches, so Pesta got blasted in the face over and over again, and then Oleynik pressed him against the fence for some basic clinching one minute into the round. Oleynik went for a standing front-naked choke, I guess? Pesta then took him down, and punched him with some short punches. Pesta then used a basic front choke, to toss Oleynik around for a few seconds on the ground. He then took his back and punched Oleynik in the face a few times, causing Oleynik to lay down flat. Oleynik went for that same ezekiel choke while Pesta had him mounted, and Pesta was forced to submit. THAT IS FUCKING INSANE!!! hahaha... Alexey Oleynik is the fucking man! Hahaha...
      Saenz threw a lot of wild strikes to start the first round, but he wasn't really connecting with much of anything. They clinched one minute in, Mendes tried to trip Saenz, but they reset back in the center instead. They continued to trade a lot of fast punches & knees, with neither fighter really connecting on a consistent basis. Mendes clinched and quickly tripped Saenz 90 seconds into the round, immediately securing full mount. Saenz scrambled out of the back door, Mendes unloaded with some heavy punches, Saenz got rocked a little bit, and then Mendes clinched again. Saenz threw some heavy knees, and Mendes worked some dirty boxing before they split up again. Round one should probably go to Mendes.
     Saenz came out throwing wild strikes again to start the second round, but Mendes clipped him with a hard left hand to the chin, which allowed Mendes to press him against the cage again. They split up a few seconds later, and reset. Saenz threw a knee, and Mendes caught it, took him down, couldn't hold him down, so they stood back up immediately, and then Mendes tripped Saenz from the clinch, but they popped back up immediately again. Saenz then dropped Mendes with a right elbow to the chin, and then Mendes started working from his guard, while Saenz settled into top position. They reset back on the feet 2 minutes into the round. Saenz rocked Mendes again with 90 seconds left in the round, and they continued to trade some heavy strikes, with a lot of back & forth action, and then Saenz pressed Mendes into the fence with a minute left. That round goes to Saenz, so I have this fight all tied up going into the final round.
     They continued to trade punches to start the final round, and Mendes rocked the shit out of Saenz with some heavy punches, and then they both unloaded on each other, and then settled into some basic clinching again, 45 seconds into the round. They fought in the clinch for another minute or so, before resetting back in the center. They traded some heavy strikes, Mendes took Saenz down with 2 minutes left in the round, but they popped back up immediately again, and Saenz took control of the clinch, pressing Mendes into the fence. They continued to fight at a decent pace until the end of the round, leaving the fight in the hands of the judges. This was a really close fight, and the judges gave the win to Augusto Mendes via split-decision. That was a solid performance by both fighters, and it could have gone either way.
      These guys are both making their UFC debuts here, and Klose started it by catching a kick, and then unloading on Powell with a barrage of punches against the fence. They clinched, spun each other around a few times, traded a few knees, and then Klose just pressed Powell into the fence for a while. Klose threw down Powell, and then hit him with a few strikes, but mostly just stood above him for a while. Round one should go to Klose.
     The second round started, and Klose blasted Powell with a flying knee to the body and then threw him to the ground, but let him back up. Klose then pressed Powell against the fence for some more clinching. They split up, traded some violent strikes, and Klose landed the harder shots. They continued to trade strikes at a decent pace for the rest of the round, until Klose picked up Powell and threw him down in the final 15 seconds. I have Klose ahead 2-0 going into the final round.
     Klose continued to beat up Powell in the clinch for most of the third round, with some stomps and some knees to the legs, while he kept Powell pinned against the fence. The referee split them up 2 minutes into the round. Klose started talking a lot of shit, taunting Powell, and Powell blasted him with some hard strikes. Powell tried to plow forward a few times, but Klose was able to stop him in his tracks with hard straight punches to the face, and heavy leg kicks. I kind of wanted Powell to win this fight, because Klose seems like an asshole, but I scored this fight 30-27 for Drakkar Klose. All 3 judges agreed, giving the unanimous decision victory to Drakkar Klose in his UFC debut.
      These guys both traded some heavy strikes to start the first round, and then Moraga clinched and pressed Pettis into the fence. They split up, and Pettis clipped Moraga in the chin with a fast punch combinations, and a small cut opened up under Moraga's left eye as well. They continued to box with each other, Moraga blasted Pettis with some heavy punches, and then went for a guillotine choke, but Pettis escaped and pressed him against the fence. They split up, continued to trade wild punches, they both got clipped, but Pettis was moving forward the entire time, and he even dropped Moraga in the last few seconds of the round. Round one clearly goes to Sergio Pettis.
     The second round had both guys trading punches at a pretty decent pace, with a little bit of back & forth clinching in between exchanges. Moraga shot for a sloppy takedown with 45 seconds left in the round, and he ran headfirst into a guillotine choke, but he broke free before the round ended. I'm assuming Pettis is ahead 2-0 going into the final round, but that second round was closer than the first. This has been a close fight so far.
     Pettis continued to chip away at Moraga with some clean boxing combinations in the final round, but Moraga fired back with some heavy shots of his own as well. Pettis was mixing in some nice head kicks, Moraga shot for another takedown, it was stuffed, but it allowed him to press Pettis against the fence for a while. Moraga finally took down Pettis 2 minutes into the final round, landing inside his open guard. Moraga dropped back for a heel hook, Pettis stacked him, and then passed to half mount. They stood back up, and finished the round firing back & forth with some basic kickboxing exchanges, and then Pettis scored a late takedown in the final seconds of the fight. This was a close fight that could potentially go either way, but I scored it 29-28 for Sergio Pettis. All 3 judges agreed, giving the fight to Sergio Pettis for the hard fought unanimous decision victory.
      This fight started with Saunders throwing knees, and McGee was working his dirty boxing. A small cut opened up over the left eye of McGee in the first minute of the opening round. Saunders continued to chip away at McGee with some hard knees & kicks. McGee continued to work his boxing & leg kicks. McGee kicked Saunders in the head halfway through the round, and it looked like he got rocked for a second. Saunders continued to throw some heavy kicks to the body of McGee. They both continued to trade heavy punches & kicks all the way up until the buzzer sounded. That was a close competitive round, but Saunders probably landed the bigger shots, so I scored that round for Saunders.
     The second round was another back & forth striking match, with both guys landing some hard shots. Saunders continued to land the harder kicks, while McGee continued to chip away at him with a lot of solid boxing combinations, and a lot of forward movement. They clinched for a little while, and McGee pressed Saunders into the fence. That was a close round, but I scored it for McGee. I'm assuming this fight is all tied up going into the third round, but it could be going either way.
     The final round was more of the same, with McGee still pushing forward, and he rocked Saunders with some crisp boxing, and then he took him down halfway through the round with a nice body lock takedown. McGee spent some time inside the guard of Saunders, while dropping some heavy punches, while keeping some solid control on the ground. Saunders sort of threw up a triangle choke, but McGee had both of his arms inside, so he wasn't really in any trouble. McGee broke free with 30 seconds left in the round, he postured up, and continued to work some ground & pound, busting up the head of Saunders with some heavy elbows to finish out the round. That round DEFINITELY goes to McGee, so I scored this fight 29-28 for Court McGee. The judges fucked him in the ass though, and gave the win to Ben Saunders via unanimous decision, the crowd was pretty upset, and I'm pretty pissed off too.
      Lauzon came out swinging, and he clipped Held with some hard punches, Held shot for a takedown, and Lauzon unloaded on him with some brutal elbows, he looked like he was trying to kill him, he mounted him, went for an armbar, slipped up, and they stood back up and reset. Held clinched, and tripped Lauzon to the ground at the halfway mark of the opening round. Held passed to side control, and basically just held Lauzon down. Lauzon scrambled back to his feet with 90 seconds left in the round, but Held continued to press him into the fence. Lauzon broke free, and unloaded with some punches in the final 30 seconds, but Held took control of the clinch again, and finished the round pressing Lauzon against the fence. I scored that round for Lauzon based on damage, but I could see how a lot of people would score it for Held based on top control. Held threw a spinning back elbow in the final seconds of the round, he slipped, and Lauzon blasted him with a big punch on the ground. That was a close competitive round.
     The second round started with Held throwing a few decent strikes, and then he shot in for a takedown, Lauzon slapped on a guillotine choke, they rolled around, and Held ended up taking Lauzon's back after a brief scramble. Lauzon spent a lot of energy trying to escape, but Held did a good job clinging to his back. Lauzon finally broke free and shot for a takedown of his own 2 minutes into the round. He couldn't hold down Held, but he immediately went for a standing arm-triangle choke when they stood back up. Held slipped out of that, and Lauzon pressed him back against the fence. Held shot for another slick takedown with 2 minutes left in the round, landing inside Lauzon's guard. Lauzon slapped on an armbar with a minute left in the round, but Held was able to pull his arm free a few seconds later. That round goes to Held. I have this fight all tied up going into the final round, but Held could be ahead 2-0 depending on how you scored the first round.
     Lauzon was pressuring Held in the final round, but he wasn't really throwing much offense, so Held was kind of picking him apart with counter punches. They clinched 90 seconds into the round, and then Held took down Lauzon, but he let him get back up a few seconds later. Lauzon clipped Held with some hard punches around the halfway mark of the final round, but Held fired back with some heavy hands of his own. Lauzon tried really hard to score a takedown, but Held popped right back up, so they reset with 90 seconds left in the fight. Lauzon pressured forward, landed a few punches, and then Held took him down again. Held did some weird shit on the ground, and ended the round sitting on Lauzon's face. This fight should go to Held, at least 29-28, if not 30-27. Um... One judge gave all 3 rounds to Held, and the other two judges scored the fight for Lauzon. These judges are fucking terrible tonight.
(Head Kick & Punches)
      Rodriguez started this fight with a few decent kicks, but Penn quickly caught a kick, clinched, and pressed Rodriguez into the fence. They split up a few seconds later. Rodriguez continued to chip away at Penn with a lot of wild head kicks, and he rocked him several times. The later into the round we went, the more it looked like Rodriguez was going to kill Penn by repeatedly landing BRUTAL kicks, over and over again, to Penn's head. That was a 10-8 round for Rodriguez. This felt like Amanda Nunes vs. Ronda Rousey, and I think most people are probably shocked that Penn was able to survive that round.
      The second round had Rodriguez dropping Penn almost immediately, he then unloaded on him with a million violent punches to the face, while Penn tried to spin around, looking to find his guard, but Rodriguez stayed too far to the side, and continued to slaughter him with punches, forcing the referee to step in to save Penn. That was a fantastic performance by Rodriguez, and an extremely disappointing return for B.J. Penn after retiring nearly 3 years ago.