100% Reviewed
Top 10 Best Fighters (24 Total):
1. Luis Pena - 92.8
2. Gerald Meerschaert - 92.7
3. Steven Peterson - 91.9
4. Julian Marquez - 91.9
5. Roxanne Modafferi - 91.8
6. Israel Adesanya - 91.8
7. Montana De La Rosa - 90.9
8. Alessio Di Chirico - 90.9
9. Alex Caceres - 90.3
10. Bryce Mitchell - 89.9
UFC The Ultimate Fighter 27 Finale
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Elevation: 2,001'
-Fight of the Night-
Gerald Meerschaert vs. Oskar Piechota
Fighters & Matches 89.0
Top 10 Fighters 91.5
TOTAL 90.3
Technical Submission
(Rear-Naked Choke)
     These guys traded a few strikes, and then Piechota clinched and tripped Meerschaert a minute into the round, securing half mount once they hit the ground. Piechota looked like he was setting up an arm-triangle choke, and that allowed him to secure full mount 2 minutes into the round, but Meerschaert did a decent job scrambling out of that position, but Piechota immediately repositioned himself to keep Meerschaert under control. The referee reset them with 90 seconds left in the round. Piechota clipped Meerschaert with some solid shots, and then he knocked him down with a minute left in the round, he mounted him again, and Meerschaert gave up his back. Piechota locked on a rear-naked choke, it looked tight, but Meerschaert was SOMEHOW able to spin out of it. Round one clearly goes to Piechota.
     The second round started with a few strikes, and then Meerschaert shot in for a wild takedown attempt, Piechota defended by slapping on a guillotine choke, Meerschaert pulled his head free, and then went for an Anaconda choke, Piechota rolled out of it, and then Meerschaert unloaded on him with a million big punches on the ground, Piechota stood up, Meerschaert continued to unload on him, he blasted Piechota with some hard knees, a TON of punches, and Piechota was doing everything he could to try to create some distance, but Meerschaert was on him like a rabid animal. He whipped him to the ground again, blasted him with big punches & elbows, he took his back, locked on a rear-naked choke, and he put Piechota to sleep with around 10 seconds remaining in the second round. That was an awesome fight, and a big win for Gerald Meerschaert.
      Peterson started this fight with a flying knee, followed by a standing guillotine choke. He pulled guard with it 30 seconds into the opening round, and it looked like Bessette's head was going to pop. He finally pulled his head free a minute into the round, but that was a strong start for Peterson. They split up and traded some strikes, and Peterson dropped Bessette with a leg kick, but he popped right back up. Bessette turned it up a notch in the final minute of the round, and blasted Peterson with some big shots. Peterson started strong, but Bessette might have stolen that round with his striking late in the round.
     They both came out swinging in the second round, and Peterson blasted Bessette with a lot of big shots early in the round, and then he clinched and pressed Bessette against the fence. They eventually split up, they traded a few strikes, and Bessette blasted Peterson with a clean head kick, but Peterson didn't seem phased by it at all. They continued to trade violent punches & kicks for most of the round, and then Peterson took down Bessette with a grueling takedown attempt, and he secured back control with a minute left in the round. The round ended with Peterson still clinging to back control while blasting Bessette with hard elbows to the head. The first round was close, but the second round definitely goes to Peterson.
     The final round started with Peterson grinding all over Bessette, and he took him down 90 seconds into the round, but Bessette quickly scrambled to top control, and then he fell off as well, allowing Peterson to take his back again 2 minutes into the final round. Peterson continued to pound on Bessette until the end of the round. This should have been a clear cut unanimous decision victory for Peterson, but for some reason, one judge gave the fight to Bessette. Still, Peterson earns the hard fought split-decision victory, in a really entertaining fight.
      These guys traded a few strikes, and then Diamond scored a takedown 90 seconds into the opening round. Mitchell swept Diamond halfway through the round, they stood up, and Diamond locked on a tight guillotine choke. Mitchell tried to flip out of it, but Diamond did a good job staying attached. They reset back on their feet with 2 minutes left in the round. They continued to scrap at a decent pace, leading to a round that could go either way.
     The second round had Diamond taking down Mitchell, and Mitchell caught him in a tight triangle choke on the way down. Mitchell blasted him in the head with countless elbows to the head, and the referee was hovering above them, seriously considering stopping the fight from the elbows, since Diamond wasn't able to defend himself at all. Diamond finally broke free with 2 minutes left in the round. Diamond passed to side control, but he was mostly just smothering Mitchell until the end of the round. That round goes to Mitchell for sure.
     The third round had Diamond grabbing Mitchell, grinding the shit out of him, and he slammed him to the ground halfway through the round, landing in side control again. He mostly just smothered him until the end of the round, and landed a few punches here & there for good measure. The final round goes to Diamond, the second round was Mitchell, and the first round could go either way. I think overall, Mitchell came the closest to finishing the fight, so I'm hoping he wins, but I wouldn't be shocked with a split-decision going in either direction. Two judges gave the win to Mitchell, and the other declared it a draw, giving Mitchell the hard fought majority decision.
      This fight started with Gunther moving forward awkwardly, and then he clinched and pressed Gunther against the fence. He scored his first takedown a minute into the opening round. Zuniga tried to stand up a few times, but Gunther's wrestling was relentless, as he kept him pressed against the fence the entire time. Gunther did a fantastic job grinding Zuniga against the fence for the duration of the round, mounting him a few times, and basically keeping him pinned, keeping Zuniga on the defensive side of things for the entire round. That was a good performance by Gunther, even though neither fighter really did any damage at all.
     The second round started with both guys throwing some punches, and then Gunther pressed Zuniga against the fence 30 seconds into the round again, and from that point forward, it was a repeat of the first round, with Gunther grinding the shit out of Zuniga for the duration of the round. Gunther took Zuniga's back 90 seconds into the round, and tried to setup a rear-naked choke, but that just allowed Zuniga to stand up again. This fight kind of sucked, but Gunther proved he's a grinding machine, taking a clear 20-18 lead going into the final round.
     They traded some clunky strikes to start the third round, and then Gunther took down Zuniga again, a minute into the round. Zuniga worked his way back to his feet, and tried to setup a guillotine, but he was nowhere near being able to lock it on. Gunther continued to grind the shit out of him, pressing him against the fence, until the referee reset them halfway through the round. Zuniga tried to throw some strikes, but his striking sucks. Gunther continued to grind until the end of the round, leading to a lackluster one-sided majority decision victory for John Gunther. One judge scored it a draw? Seriously?
(Guillotine Choke)
      Pena blasted Smullen with a big knee, and then Smullen took him down with a tight body lock, landing in side control 30 seconds into the opening round. Pena locked on some sort of modified triangle choke from the bottom, I've never seen anything like it before. It didn't work though, so Pena gave it up, and pulled guard. They stood up halfway through the round, Pena unloaded with some big punches, he knocked down Smullen, and then slapped on a guillotine choke, they rolled around wildly, and Pena continued to dig for the choke, until he finally had it locked on tight with full mount, and Smullen was forced to submit with around 90 seconds left in the opening round. I'm a huge fan of Luis Pena, and this was a fantastic UFC debut.
(Rear-Naked Choke)
      These girls both came out trading strikes to start the first round, and De La Rosa showed an early advantage in the striking. The first round goes to De La Rosa for controlling the striking exchanges. De La Rosa surprised me in the second round, as she clinched and tried to take Ostovich to the ground. I'm not sure why, since she had such a clear advantage on the feet. I think Ostovich might have taken the second round with her takedown defense, and she was actually able to outstrike De La Rosa in the second round as well. I have this fight all tied up going into the final round. This has been an interesting fight so far.
     The second round started evenly, and then after a brief clinch, Ostovich did a front flip Ninja throw, they both hit the ground hard, and Ostovich scrambled to secure a reverse triangle choke, or an armbar. De La Rosa then used her wrestling to secure side control. De La Rosa mounted Ostovich's back, and then unloaded with some BRUTAL elbows to the head, some big punches, and then they rolled, with De La Rosa still clinging to Ostovich's back. She locked on a tight rear-naked choke, and finished the fight by submission late in the third round. That was a good fight, and a really solid win for Montana De La Rosa.
      The first round had both guys trading single power shots. Di Chirico blasted Marquez with a brutal kick to the body, and a punch to the head that wobbled him for a second, but Marquez did a good job recovering. Marquez followed up with some combinations, and he wobbled Di Chirico, as Di Chirico was circling around the outside. Di Chirico shot for a takedown with a minute left in the round, Marquez caught him in a half guard guillotine on the way down, that didn't work, so they scrambled back to their feet and reset. Marquez finished the round with a punch that knocked Di Chirico halfway across the Octagon. That round could go either way, so I'm giving it to Marquez for landing the bigger shots in the last half of the round.
     Marquez started the second round by winging a lot of big shots, with low accuracy, but he landed a few of them. He then went for a standing guillotine choke, and whipped Di Chirico around the cage for a few seconds, but couldn't finish the choke. Marquez continued to pressure Di Chirico for most of the round, and then Di Chirico scored a takedown with 90 seconds left in the round. Marquez went for a Kimura, Di Chirico tried to walk around to turn it into an armbar, and Di Chirico flipped him and went for an armbar of his own, and then Di Chirico rolled out of that and tried to take Marquez's back while Marquez was turtled up. This fight has been good so far, and it could be going either way, but I have Marquez ahead 20-18 going into the final round.
     Marquez came out winging big shots again to start the final round, and then Di Chirico took him down again with 2 minutes left in the round, but he wasn't able to hold him down for long. They stood back up, and Marquez blasted Di Chirico with a pair of hard knees to the body. The round ended with Marquez still moving forward, stalking Di Chirico, while winging big strikes at him, and Di Chirico was basically running away. I'm scoring this fight 30-27 for Marquez, but I don't feel confident about that scorecard at all. One judge agreed with me, giving Marquez all 3 rounds, and the other two judges gave the split-decision victory to Alessio Di Chirico.
      These girls traded a few random strikes, and then Modafferi scored a quick takedown halfway through the opening round. Round one goes to Modafferi for being on top for a while. After a bit of clinching, they hit the ground early in the second round, and Modafferi ended up back on top in full mount again. She pounded on Honchak with some big punches & elbows, and Honchak just kind of flailed around on the ground for a while. Modafferi did a fantastic job maintaining top control, while pounding on Honchak with strikes. Modafferi unloaded with some big elbows, Honchak was just curling up on the ground, and the referee stopped the fight in the second round. Honchak's record is falling apart at this point, and Modafferi once again proves she's able to compete with some of the best at flyweight.
      Bravo came out and aggressively clinched with Caceres, trying repeatedly to drag him to the ground. The first round ended up being pretty close, but I scored it just slightly in favor of Bravo. The second round had Caceres bouncing around a lot, Bravo tried to corner him while throwing punches, and Caceres dropped him with a clean left hand, and then he jumped on him, looking to setup a choke, and that break in the action gave Bravo some time to recover. Caceres spent the rest of the round beating the shit out of Bravo, mostly with hard left hands, as he bloodied the face of Bravo and rocked him around the cage a few times. This fight is probably all tied up going into the final round.
     The final round had Bravo beating up Caceres, as Caceres looked exhausted. Caceres shot in for a terrible takedown halfway through the round, which Bravo easily stuffed, and then they reset. Bravo looked like he was going to run away with the round, but Caceres fired back with some big kicks late in the round, and he might have stolen the round there. I really have no idea who is going to win this fight, but I would give it to Caceres, 29-28, partially just because I want him to win. The judges basically agreed with me, giving Caceres the hard fought split-decision victory.
      These guys started this fight by trading a lot of jabs, while Cucciniello controlled the center of the cage, and Katona circled around the outside. The fight felt like a sparring match for the most part, until Katona dropped Cucciniello with a big left hook with 30 seconds left in the round. That one knockdown was probably enough to steal the round for Katona.
     Katona dropped Cucciniello with a left hand 40 seconds into the second round, he popped back up, and then Katona took him down at the one minute mark. Katona mostly just smothered Cucciniello, while dropping short punches & elbows here & there. Not a lot of damage has been done so far, but Katona has a pretty clear 20-18 lead going into the final round.
     They traded a few random strikes in the third round, and then Katona picked up Cucciniello and dumped him to the ground in the center of the cage 2 minutes into the final round. That was a decent performance by Katona, as he pretty clearly won that unanimous decision victory to become the TUF Champion, but... It wasn't a very exciting fight at all.
      Giannetti threw a few strikes, and then clinched with Trizano's back a minute into the opening round. He finally tripped him to the ground halfway through the round, and immediately started digging for a heel hook. Trizano sort of secured top control, but his leg was still tied up, as Giannetti was still digging for the heel hook. The first round goes to Giannetti.
     Giannetti shot for a takedown 25 seconds into the second round, Trizano stopped him with a head lock, and then he took down Giannetti. He passed to side control, and then halfway through the round, Giannetti rolled for a toe hold, but it didn't work out, so Trizano just sat up on him backwards, and threw some elbows to Giannetti's butt. That was an awkward round of grappling, but I'm going to assume that round goes to Trizano, and this fight is all tied up going into the final round. Hopefully something exciting happens in the final round.
     The final round had Giannetti looking tired as he circled around the outside, and Trizano was controlling the center of the cage, but neither fighter was really throwing much offense. This wasn't a great fight, but it was close. I'm assuming Trizano will win this fight, 29-28. Two judges agreed, giving Trizano the split-decision victory, and he's the new TUF Lightweight Champion or whatever.
      The first round was a competitive round of back & forth striking, where both guys threw some decent shots, but neither fighter was really going for it yet. Adesanya stepped it up a notch in the second round and started to pick apart Tavares with his striking, but he received a warning for keeping his fingers pointed toward Tavares, so that slowed things down a bit. The first round could have gone either way, but the second round goes to Adesanya.
      The third round was another round full of Adesanya working over Tavares with punches & kicks, and spinning back elbows, and all sorts of neat strikes. Adesanya blasted Tavares with some hard shots to start the fourth round, and then Tavares shot for a takedown, and finally brought Adesanya to the ground 50 seconds into the round. Adesanya scrambled around, Tavares took his back 90 seconds into the round, he landed a few punches, and then Adesanya stood up, and whipped Tavares to the ground with a surprise Kimura attempt. He then pinned Tavares against the fence, blasted him with some big punches, and then they reset. They traded a few more strikes, and then the doctor had to check out a cut above Tavares's right eye, due to an elbow from Adesanya. Adesanya clearly won at least 3 out of the first 4 rounds, if not all 4. This has been a good performance so far for Adesanya.
      Tavares looked exhausted in the third round, and Adesanya was basically using him as a punching bag, as he was methodically chipping away at him with clean strikes, and then he stuffed Tavares's shots whenever he tried to take the fight to the ground. In the end, Adesanya clearly won this fight, with nearly a clean sweep across the scorecards, with only one judge giving the first round to Tavares, while all the other rounds went to Adesanya. I'm really looking forward to seeing where this guy's ceiling is. He has a ton of potential, and I still can't help but compare him to a middleweight version of Jon Jones.